Nursing Stress

My take on nursing one day at a time

Monday, October 23, 2006

~rough times~

I haven't written in quite a while now. I have had some things to work through personally and actually I haven't been able to write about it until now. For almost two months I have had a very close relative in my hospital. For about 3 weeks he was on my unit. This person was in with no life threatening problem it was just a simple infection which led to amputation of one leg. It was a comfort having this person on my unit and even in the hospital I felt so close to them although when they were on my unit I did not visit as often as I should have. Part of me did not want to always associate this room with them after they left IF something bad should have ever happened during that stay. Needless to say everyone I worked with became close to this relative and treated them as if it was their own family which I am ever so grateful for. This relative went home and stayed home for about a month and did exceptionally well. He was the healthiest I have seen him in years. Then one day he woke up a little unresponsive. After being in the ER all day he was finally admitted to my unit. He was even talking at this point and was perfically normal you couldn't even tell anything had happened. Throughout the night he took a turn for the worse. He coded a record number of times and eventually did not make it. He passed away on my floor something that I am having a hard time dealing with. Hearing a Code blue which is something that usually never makes me think twice I just work it and don't have anything emotional attached to it, but that night knowing it was MY relative they were working on oh it made my heart ache. This all happened two weeks ago and the past three days were my first days back. I have to say it was very hard. I think of him often and when I do get him out of my mind at work someone will come up to me to tell me how hard they worked on him trying to save him or to just tell me they were sorry for my loss. I have to say the first two nights back I had two very busy patients and it kept my mind off of it. I know he would want me to continue my job and continue helping people he was very proud of me and what I do. I don't want to let him down but right now it is so hard. Having to revisit that very spot where I had the worst night of my life is hard it is hard to not associate it with him. The very thing I did not want to happen happened. I tried to stay away when he was on my floor so I would not have those memories and now when Im not busy I get a flash of a memory and it kills me.
My question is has anyone ever dealt with this before and if so how did you work through it???

7 Comments:

  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger kate loving shenk said…

    kate loving shenk here:

    thought you'd like to subscribe to my weeklt newsletter for nurses and healers:
    http://www.nursingcareertransformation.com/
    simplenewslettersignup.html

    enjoy and happy thanksgiving

    kate loving shenk

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I'm sorry to read about your loss. I am an RN student who is finished in Dec. this year. I experienced my first code--ever the other night and it shook me. I did know the person, so I have a bit in common with you. Dealing with it-you don't at first. Each day gets better though. I live in the same town as the pt. did and to see the family everyday is not difficult. In fact, they thank me everytime I see them for the care I gave the pt.when they were not able to be at the hospital with them, I'd make sure he was comfortable and pain free. So now instead of dwelling on the fact that he couldn't be saved, I take pride in that I was doing my job as a nurse and the family took comfort in that and appreciated it. hope this helps a bit.

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger overactive-imagination said…

    I don't make it by often but I wanted to send you my condolences...late. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you and to have to return to work where you last saw him must make it twice as hard. Hang in there. My thoughs are with you.
    Dawn

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,
    I know how hard it can be adjusting to your new profession. I remember the anxiety and fear that I felt when I first started nursing. It can be scary and overwhelming especially when feeling thrown out to fly before you feel that your wings are fully extended and capable of flying. However, you are more ready than you think and by getting out there and doing can be the best lessons to learn to fly and you will fly.

    The way that I learned to deal with death and dying is to do a self-analysis and ask myself if I did the best job that I could at that moment and learned from that moment to try to do better at the things that I needed to improve on during the next critical moment. I then would walk out the door and leave it at the hospital.

    I recognize the added pressure of having a loved one die on your own unit while you are already under so much stress from trying to adjust to your own new responsibilities. Instead of thinking only about how you felt with your grandpa on your unit, think about how much you made his passing more comfortable; He knew you were there...His loving granddaughter.

    Teri (friendlebear@sbcglobal.net)

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of course it is such a hard thing to deal with. While I have not lost anyone that was a relative, the mere fact that someone is gone is hard enough. But there are some positives to take from it. First, being a nurse, you are helping so many people day in and day out. So for the one loss you are suffering, you are saving many many more families from having to do that same thing. Second, having to deal with your relative's death is a learning experience. Don't you think if he could tell you now that if you could prevent the suffering he went through it would all be worth it?

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous benq said…

    I feel so sorry sorry for you. But as nurses we have to dealt with such experiences more often than others.
    But on the other hand we are more frequently involving in saving lives.

    http://nursesasia.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 2:23 AM, Anonymous digital voice recorder said…

    Hi RN, I'm so sorry about your family member. Having a family member in the hospital you are working in is tough and its even tougher when they pass away. Dang though - what are the odds! Anyway, its been a few years since this post so hopefully you have recovered and aren't so traumatized. Thankfully you have good staff that treated your relative with good care and love. I think as long as he had good care despite his ailment at the time is what counted the most before his passing. I hope you find solace and are able to enter the room he was in without feeling too much negative emotion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home