Nursing Stress

My take on nursing one day at a time

Saturday, June 03, 2006

~Big news~

I haven't wrote anything in awhile now. I haven't forgotten I have just had so much other things going on to where honestly I have been too tired. I started my new job about two weeks ago...Im working in the cardiac department of the ICU. So far so good it is really interesting. I have found out something and that is I don't always look to the patient's as they are scared to death. When I stop and think about how I would feel to get a heart cath and some stents done I would be a nervous wreck and believe me some patients do a good job covering up their being scared to death. This one patient was totally ok with everything was acting completly normal during preop measures and when I happen to step into the room they were crying extremly bad. I guess with me running around trying to get down the routine I forgot to think about what actually was going on for them mentally! I'm glad I caught onto that now sooner than later so I can start addressing that. It just goes to show what we can lookover when we are just learning having so many things going on at once. It was like a lightbulb went off in my head when I was dumbfounded as to why the patient was upset then it was a duh!!! moment when I slowed down and realized the hospital and procedures are not a normal routine for them as it is for me. I scheduled my NCLEX testing date for June 15th!!! I haven't had much time to study with work but I need to get on that because the testing date is right around the corner. I think I should have taken a little time off before work to have had a little time to myself and time to study. I didn't realize all of the preemployment measures would take about two weeks in itself.
As far as work goes it is totally different than clinicals. I can say for most of the time I actually enjoy going to work...so far it has only been those third and fourth 12 hour shift in a row where I dread going in. It is strange to actually be referred to as a real nurse and not just a student. Patients and even family of patients look to you for so much more because now they expect you to know all the answers
So far all in all it is great I seem to have so much more confidence because I know I can do it and if I can't do something at the moment I can surly find out and learn how to do it for next time!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ALL FEMALE NURSES ARE PERVERTS AND
    UNPROFESSIONAL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home