Nursing Stress

My take on nursing one day at a time

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

~Work Work Work~

Question: Does it always happen that when you get comfortable at work something will happen to throw you off and prove to yourself that you really don't have a reason to be feeling all comfy and all???

Work is going pretty good, this is my last week on day shift then I switch over to 7pm-7am wahoo yeah that isn't all that exciting. I have gotten used to all of the day shift people as far as being good friends now and working really good together and now I am supposed to start over with new people who I have only seen maybe five minutes a day, but I guess I have already been in this situation once and turned out making lots of friends so its all good.

In other bigger news I come off of orientation next week!?!?!?! Holy shit how did that happen?????? I am coming off orientation about 6 weeks ahead of schedule and I am not sure how I feel about that. I think that is where my question comes in...I feel pretty comfy at work as far as time management assessments and my skills are concerned...I think if anything happened I could handle it except for one thing and this thing is pretty big...I do work on a cardiac floor and when it comes to someone coming in needing critical drips I haven't gotten ANY experience starting or titrating them. I have handled getting them up from the pharmacy because for some reason the pharmacy thinks its ok to take their time when someone's heart rate is up to about 200 to get us the drips so I can handle getting it but for starting and titrating I would be totally winging it trying to figure out what the hell I am doing. There are always more than one nurse on a floor...but...what if something else is going on and nobody is available to help??? Im not sure what I think about this issue because with everything else I feel comfortable with. I guess I should feel great about my coworkers and nurse manager thinking I am ready to come off of orientation this early, I am the only new nurse out of four others coming off early :)

So I prepared a little for night shift today. I went out and bought an ipod! I am going to start to try and stay up all night a few nights before my first night shift starts. Any advice for the transition to night shift from days???

3 Comments:

  • At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As you will have much less support from staff at night I would suggest staying on orientation for a while longer if possible. If not, then write all the critical drips in a small notebook with titration formulas and put it in your pocket.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger dena said…

    Have you expressed your concern to your manager? I find it hard to believe that she is letting you and 4 others come off orientation so early. It sounds like they have staffing issues, but that is no excuse for taking you off orientation 6 weeks early. If I were you, I would insist on staying on orientation until you have some experience with cardiac drips. Being on a cardiac floor, that is a major treatment and having a notebook or an ipod is in no way equivalant to having actual hands-on experience with the drips, not to mention titrating them. Your manager should not even consider taking anyone off orientation until you have been signed off on your cardiac drip competencies. Good luck.

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous ohio nursing schools said…

    I think you'll need coke or a lot of coffee in your list. It's hard to sleep at 7am unless you are super drunk. Keep on practicing and getting yourself accustomed to that shift. Goodluck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home