Nursing Stress

My take on nursing one day at a time

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

~Ob clinical~

Today I had another OB clinical. I was working in the nursery with about 15 babies. It was so much chaos at times when they would all cry at once. I really like working with the babies. I got to observe a circumcision (spelling?). That look very painful even with the block, strapping them down like that I kinda hurt a little after that lol
I got to observe a delivery today!!! It took all of two minutes at the most. The baby popped out with only one push. Maybe that birth was different but it wasn't what I thought it would be again. I'm starting to wonder if anything will be how I thought it would. I had fun in the nursery watching over the babies. There were only a few really sick babies. One was having respiratory problems that prevented it from being able to eat so that baby was very irritable and crying most of the day. It surprized me how the nurses there would be charting and totally ignore the babies cry. I think that is just as bad as someone ignoring an adults pain. Everytime the baby with the IV that couldn't eat would cry either me or the other student would have to go comfort it because they seemed to not care whether they were crying. One nurse even said they have gotten used to the crys and has gotten used to looking over the cries. I couldn't work with someone like that. I understand the babies crying at times could just be them needing a little comfort and in my opinion it is just the same as an adult having issues, we try to help the adults what is so different about a baby, why would they not feel the need to comfort them or even check to see why they would be crying. I guess you can see that really got under my nerves. Anytime a baby would cry most of the time it only took TWO minutes of holding them to soothe them and they were back to sleep and not crying for so long.
I think I would like to work in a nursery. I think I would really enjoy it. The only thing I would be afraid of is losing all of my other skills. Most of the babies were rather healthy and didn't need much invasive care, and I would be scared to work in a nursery for a long period of time and then feeling uncomfortable if I ever wanted to change areas because I may not feel comfortable with my skills. I think my decision about what area I want to work in will come down to whether or not I want to be truly happy or make a decision I may not necessarily like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home